This blog is a little late because I lost my log in info and it's going to be PINK!! Yaaay!! Act 1 is nothing like I thought it'd be. I actually didn't know what to think at the beginning of this play. I know many people might not have much nice to say about Nora but at the start of this book, I thought Nora would be this dependent, trophy wife. But reading more into it, I realize that she's a frivolous, paranoid, independent, hard-working, cheating liar! The way she takes things into her own hands and solves situations without needing the help of anyone amazes me. I wish I could be as confident as she is at times but it doesn't mean it's okay when she does it. She likes the feeling of having power, whether its flirting with Dr. Rank or working behind he husbands back. She once said, "Still it was tremendous fun sitting there working and earning money." She's overly confident and it makes her friendship with Ms. Linde difficult. Ms.Linde is right when she tells Nora off because she needed someone to put her in place.
Helmer on the other hand is gullible and some may say he's controlling. If he didn't react and "control" Nora the way he does, then she might act even more wildly then she does now. The way he contrabands macaroons, might be one of the ways he controls her. He acts like the father in the relationship and she acts like a daughter, rather than a husband/wife. The names he calls her might sound "disrespectful" to some people but I see them as playful. They've been married for a while so it could be okay in their case. Maybe he's just being straight forward and letting her nicknames be hints of how he feels about her. He obviously doesn't see them as equals though. "Nora, just like a woman." There are dozens of examples of where their relationship stands in the play but I'm sure you already know how they are. Do you think his actions are causing Nora to be the way she is??
3 comments:
That is so true, he treats her like a child instead of a wife. I think he does that because he feels he has total control over her,little does he know. If Nora ever acted how she did behind his back, to his face,she would obviously wear the pants in the relationship.
I think the names are playful too! Although, sometimes he just talks to her as if she's very dumb. When he adds on his nicknames to those such loving compliments(sarcasm intended), they sound disrespectful to me.
I thought thw same thing about Nora, but I do think she does make some very independent decisions. I think the whole ditsey thing she puts on is an act!
Post a Comment